How do you make Turmeric or Curcumin Powder at home?
1. Take about a kilogram of raw turmeric roots, scrub and wash them to remove as much mud off them.
2. Put them in a big pan or a rice cooker and fill the vessel with water, about two inches above the top layer.
3. Let this boil for about 45 minutes.
4. Remove and drain. Peel the skin off once they cool down.
5. Grate. I use the manual grater. This is the tiring part. But then I am not losing kilograms myself just like that.
6. Spread the shreds in the open under direct sunlight, covered so no dust goes in. Or alternatively, you can dehydrate thin layers it in the oven for about 45 minutes at 180 degrees. Sun drying brings out the best colour and aroma.
7.Once the shreds dry out completely and become brittle, they are ready to be ground to a powder.
And you are done!